Monday, April 18, 2011

The Dread Journey: Hitting the Three Month Mark

After three months I'm really starting to understand this whole journey of dreads.  In the time I've had them I've almost had them come out on me twice now and they're not exactly doing what I expected them to do.  I've found some things about them that I love.  I've found some things that I hate.  It's been an experience.

Three months in I've found that I haven't lost any length.  I've barely got any dreading going on.  The roots are grown long and wild.  It's pretty obvious how much length I've gotten out of my dreads in the past couple of months.  You can see it in just how long my roots have gotten, but I'm not going to be bleaching my hair again any time soon.  The dye is slowly starting to fade out.  Before long my hair will be just a completely average shade of blond with an average shade of brown.  Would you believe I'm actually looking forward to that?  My how things have changed!  Just a few short months have made me into a different person, and the hair is just an extension of all of that.  It's also amazing how much my hair has grown.  It's only been three months!

I think I'm looking forward to the rest of this journey, but at the same time, I don't know.  A part of me has become very defeated by the whole thing.  I'm getting frustrated by the way it's all turning out.  It's not coming along as quickly as I hoped and the dreaded section is so incredibly short.  I guess I'd kind of hoped that my hair would have more length dreaded by now.  I had wanted them to progress so much faster.  I was always told shorter hair always locked up and started growing faster than someone with longer dreads.  I'm a little disappointed because so many people talk about how much their dreads shrink in the first year, but my dreads haven't shrunk at all.  They're the same length as my natural hair, and it all started the same length.  I was told my dreads would thicken up, but so far they're no thicker at all.  I was told they would start to get more solid, but again not a lot of change there.  I guess I was expecting things to be a lot different by now, but they're not, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

So, here we go, one more month down!

No comments:

Post a Comment