Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sing, It's Good for the Soul

I decided to take a break from everything I was doing earlier.  The kids were the only ones home with me.  I wasn't doing much.  I was just knitting, not an unusual pastime for me.  It was actually a pretty normal at home and quiet kind of time.

Out of nowhere I felt an urge I haven't felt in a very long time.  I decided I was going to sing.  I started out with the opening song in Chess.  From there we moved on to Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera.  I stumbled over some of the lines here and there and had to all out quit singing some songs because I couldn't remember anything but the first couple of verses.

I don't really know when I stopped singing, or why.  I used to sing all the time.  I would sing while walking home from my aunt's house when I was in high school, belting out Broadway tunes as I went.  I would sing quietly in my room.  It was like I never stopped singing, and then suddenly I did.  Music became an annoyance to me and I couldn't tolerate my own voice.

Singing again was wonderful.  I almost didn't want to stop, but it was distracting my daughter from reading like she was supposed to do.  My son thought it was pretty funny and called me "the singing lady".  My youngest just laughed.  It was nice.  I wish I could just open up like that and sing any time I felt like it, but I'm really self-conscious of my voice.

Sometimes you really just need to open up and let your voice go.  I don't think I've found anyone who doesn't like singing.  Most people will only sing to the radio when they're alone.  A handful of people have the guts to sing wherever they happen to be.  It's good for the soul!  Everyone should do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment