Tuesday, February 15, 2011

One Month Old Dreadies!

My dreads just recently turned one month old.  It feels like I've had them so much longer than that!  It's like my hair has always been in dreads.  Yes, I had he woolies for a while.  Before that I had braids.  Still, in between I had bouts of "normal hair".  It's not like I just jumped from one to the next.  I'm pretty excited about it all!

I have to admit, a part of me wants to get this first year over with.  I want my dreads to be  mature, to do what they're going to do.  I don't want to have that awkward "grow out hair" phase.  It's just like short hair transitioning to long.  There's this awkward grow out period where no matter what you do, it doesn't look right.  The same thing seems to happen with dreads, only they do all kinds of funky things, like shrink, twist, get little loops and all kinds of craziness.  It's an interesting journey.

I've come to learn that dreads have their own personalities.  Each one develops it's own sense of style.  Some of mine are crazy twisty, almost seeming more braided than dreading.  Some of them are really super solid already.  Some of them are soft and squishy, which probably means they'll have a lot of tightening up to do.  They all want to flip around their own ways and lay the way they want to.  It's like my hair, now that it's sectioned and started, knows exactly what it wants to do!

Today's Wisdom Card reads, "This year I do the mental work for positive change."  That sounds pretty accurate.  "My motto this year is: 'I go for the joy!' Life is here for me to enjoy today."  I think I've seen this one before.  However, it kind of goes with what I've been experiencing today.  Screw the nay-sayers!  I'm going to be happy because I can!

Today's I Can Do It Card: "Love is powerful - your love and my love.  Love brings us peace on Earth."  On the reverse it says, "Love is all there is!"  Maybe I need to start focusing on where the love in my life is coming from.  That's where I'm going to find my peace within!

No comments:

Post a Comment