Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dealing with the Blahs

Today is just one of those blah days.  I just feel like going back to bed and curling up under the covers.  There's just too much working against me today, and I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle to want to do anything at all.

It's not that I'm blah for no reason.  I can easily make excuses for my every feeling.  It's so easy to write it all off and make it all acceptable.  For example, my throat hurts and my voice is scratchy.  Well, I had to talk loudly over the music at the event last night.  That always happens.  My back is aching, but that always happens "this time of the month", especially when I dance.  To deal with abdominal and commonly back cramps, I tend to let my pelvis drop too much and dance a bit too sway-backed.  I can blame my tired feeling on being woken up in the middle of the night by a baby that didn't want to sleep.  I could also blame it on the dull gray weather.  We've also been keeping our home temperature low, so everyone's a bit chilly.  It's great for saving energy, but paired with everything else, it can lead to a serious case of feeling blah.  On top of it all, the bigger the event, the more dead I feel the next morning.  It's like I somehow have to make up for all of that socialization, all of that work, and everything else.  In reaction, I kind of hide in my own shell.  I disappear for a while so I can recover.  I know I play a social, extroverted person really well, but the truth is I'm not like that at all.  That much dealing with people wears me out and I need a day to recover.

Today's mission?  I'm going to see if I can find something to do, be it unpacking, cleaning my house, or even exercising that helps to defeat this case of the blahs.  I don't just want to be sitting on my butt all day doing nothing.  That's not going to help me get out of these blahs.  On top of that, if I let myself stick in this blah feeling, I know it can persist for days.  I really need to clear out this blue funk before it sticks around for a moment longer than it needs to.

Maybe today can use my kind of low-energy funk for a purpose rather than trying to do something energetic anyway.  Perhaps I can do something artsy with my time.  I've got a lot of creative work that needs to be done.  This could be my cue to take the time and finally do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment